Saturday, February 6, 2010

Saigon Lady

This is a bookmark painted in Dzo Paper me and Brando got from Vietnam. Shown in the painting is a Vietnamese lady in traditional costume with her bicycle. This is a typical view in Vietnam, even nowadays.

Although fragile and flexible, the dzo paper (made from mulberry bark) is also long lasting and durable. Used by ethnic minorities for altar paintings, for honourable certificates and for inscribing buddhist sutras.

"When I paint on this kind of paper, I can feel the spirit of calmness and thoughtfulness of my ancestors. Patience is also needed when working on dzo paper, and this helps me to develop new pictures slowly because when one color is dry, a new color can be applied to it with strange effects." Vu Thu Hien, Vietnamese artist

***http://www.lalunagallery.com/artist_vu_thu_hien.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment